Friday, January 6, 2017

UNICORN DISSECTION

SOME DAYS I CAN'T HELP MYSELF
And why should I? 
Here is a view of the retroperitoneal organs of the Unicorns abdominal cavity. 
I have no idea if horses have a peritoneum and this unicorn definitely did not.
I was browsing through one of my favorite reference sites, Historical Anatomies On The Web, and found myself once again engrossed in the equine anatomical illustrations by Carlo Ruini from Anatomia del cavallo, infermita, et suoi rimedii. I LOVE THIS GUY! I know this sounds nutty, but the illustrations of cadaveric horses are so.... alive! According to Historical Anatomies... the woodcut images were rumored (not confirmed) to be drafted by someone from Titian's workshop. They are quite beautiful. I am referencing the 1618 edition.

Ruin's title page

Comparative anatomy is very interesting. Usually I compare humans to animals but this time I thought of the substantial internal differences one might find in the anatomy of horses and unicorns. Who am I to passively worship  beauty when I can manipulate it into something whimsical and grotesque? 

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful. The Duodenum is so sparkly, and the pancreas is shaped just like a kitten! I notice there are some similarities with little girls, who are made of sugar and spice and everything nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And yes, I definitely generated unicorn anatomical content based on the preferences of unicorn audiences and hunting bait (i.e. virgins).

    ReplyDelete